Have you heard about the alkaline diet and its health benefits? Are you keen to try alkaline food but are worried you won’t be able to dine out anymore? Well, if you live in Atlanta worry no more. Life Bistro is here to help! We are an alkaline, vegan fine dining restaurant that can keep you and your social life healthy.
What is an Alkaline Diet?
In case you aren’t aware, an alkaline diet is a diet that helps your body maintain its natural blood ph of 7.35-7.45. Foods are split into two different categories alkaline-forming or acid-forming. The diet aims to include as many alkaline-forming foods as possible. This makes it easy for your body to maintain its natural alkaline state. If your diet is heavily acidic, your body will still keep its ph stable, but it has to work much harder to do it. That results in stress, low energy levels and overall poor health.
An Alkaline diet doesn’t contain processed or refined foods, so it is super healthy. Essentially, an alkaline diet involves eating lots of fresh greens, vegetables, nuts, seeds and some fruits. It is a restrictive diet, so most practitioners work on an 80/20 rule to make it sustainable. So, that means 80% of every meal should be alkaline, and the remaining 20% can be any other food you choose. Having this flexibility makes the diet much easier to follow but doesn’t stop you enjoying all of the health benefits.
Health Benefits of an Alkaline Diet
So what are the health benefits of an alkaline diet? Well, some of the primary health benefits of following an alkaline diet are:
- Increased Energy Levels: Reducing the amount of acid in the nobody improves the oxygen supply available to your body’s cells. In turn, this improves your body’s ability to repair itself and collect essential nutrients.
- Stronger Immune System: When you improve your oxygen levels, you also improve your body’s ability to fight infection.
- Reduces Inflammation: Over-acidity can cause inflammation in the body and result in heart disease, arthritis and even cancer. Reducing the consumption of acid-forming foods also reduces the source of some inflammation.
Alkaline and Dietary Requirements
Just like a Vegan diet, the alkaline diet works for many people with special dietary requirements that are both medically diagnosed and lifestyle choices. An alkaline diet is:
It is effortless to incorporate alkaline eating into a vegan lifestyle because there is considerable overlap in foods. An unprocessed vegan diet has very few acid-forming elements. As a result, you can get all the health benefits of an alkaline diet by making a few small changes.
Famous Alkaline Dieters
Many celebrities are alkaline converts. Not only do they love the many health benefits, but they also love how easy it is to maintain healthy body weight. Some of the most renowned alkaline eaters are:
- Victoria Beckham
- Gwyneth Paltrow
- Jennifer Anniston
- Kirsten Dunst
- Jared Leto
An easy and nutritious way to enjoy alkaline foods is juicing. An alkaline smoothie is a fantastic way to kick start your day. Ditch the morning coffee and boost your energy levels with a fresh drink packed full of vitamins, minerals and plant-based protein. Give these recipes a try and feel the energy!
Very Berry Smoothie (1-2 serves)
1 cup berries
1 tbsp Almond butter
1 tbsp hemp seeds
1/2 tsp flaxseed oil
1/2 cup almond milk
Place all ingredients in a blend, whizz them up and enjoy!
Green Goddess (2 serves)
1 Green apple, cored and quartered
1 Avocado, pitted and sliced
1-inch piece of fresh ginger
Juice of 1 lime
1 cup of coconut water
Grate the ginger. Squeeze the juice from the grated ginger into a blender. Add all the other ingredients, blend and serve.
You might not be ready to jump right into the alkaline diet, but Just by swapping a few simple foods, you can help improve your health.
- Swap dairy for coconut or almond milk is a simple way to reduce your acidic load. You can usually substitute like for like.
- Trade refined sugar for stevia. Another simple like for like swap that will do wonders for your health. Be sure to buy pure stevia and not stevia containing artificial sweeteners like Sucralose.
- Swap Vegetable Oil for Coconut Oil. Many vegetable oils are not as healthy as we think. Canola, Soybean and Corn oil are all highly processed. Coconut oil is an excellent alternative for cooking as it withstands high temperatures. Olive oil is another option for dressing and even baking.
- Trade Peanuts for Seeds. Switching from peanuts to healthy seeds like pumpkin Is another way to reduce your consumption of acid-forming foods.
- Swap your morning coffee for a cup of green tea. You’ll still get your caffeine fix but it not he same acidic load. Unlike coffee beans, tea leaves aren’t roasted so they are not acid forming. .
Alkaline Focused Food
We make all of the dishes at Life Bistro Cafe in line with the 80/20 principle of the alkaline diet. Our food is balanced, healthy and bursting with flavor. At Life Bistro cafe we want to bust the myth that plant-based foods are boring and bland. Choosing not to eat meat doesn’t mean you have to miss out on bold flavours or interesting textures. Alkaline and Vegan food should appeal to all the senses and bring pleasure.
That is one reason why we put so much effort into recreating alkaline, vegan-friendly versions of some American comfort food classics. You might be surprised to learn we offer Burgers, Mac n Cheese, Po’Boys and Creamy Fettuccine.
Alkaline Food at Life Bistro Cafe
At Life Bistro Cafe, we are committed to providing a quality fine dining experience that everyone can enjoy. With so many different food intolerances and diets out there, it can be hard to find a restaurant that suits everyone. Life Bistro is the answer. We may not serve meat, but you’ll be hard-pressed to tell the difference between our Beyond burger and the real thing!
Come and dine in our friendly, relaxed atmosphere and experience alkaline, vegan food like never before. You can also order online here for take out!